England Women’s Rugby League Team received a rapturous welcome yesterday when they arrived in Goroka, Papua New Guinea.
The team are in Goroka to play the Orchids in two internationals. The first will take place tomorrow at 4.00am (GMT).
The second Test will be played at Port Moresby’s Oil Search Stadium next Saturday (November 16).
Both teams took time out to visit the Goroka Provincial Hospital and Kama SDA Primary School taking gifts, food, drinks, toiletries and of course rugby balls! The visit delighted school children and patients alike.
England Women have included four uncapped players in an 18-strong squad.
Grace Field, Kelsey Gentles and Tamzin Renouf – who were all key figures in the Castleford team who finished top of the Betfred Women’s Super League in 2019 – will be joined by Shannon Lacey of Leeds Rhinos, who beat Castleford in both the Grand Final and the Coral Women’s Challenge Cup Final.
England team – each player listed with England Women RL Heritage Number:
- Tara-Jane Stanley (Castleford, 43)
- Rebecca Greenfield (Wigan, 71)
- Rachel Thompson (Wigan, 69)
- Naomi Williams (St Helens, 72)
- Kelsey Gentles (Castleford, 79)
- Jodie Cunningham (St Helens, 33)
- Faye Gaskin (St Helens, 57)
- Amy Johnson (Leeds, 76)
- Tara Jones (St Helens, 50)
- Grace Field (Castleford, 78)
- Emily Rudge (St Helens, captain, 27)
- Chantelle Crowl (St Helens, 67)
- Shannon Lacey (Leeds, 80)
- Dannielle Anderson (Leeds, 75)
- Tamzin Renouf (Castleford, 81)
- Charlotte Booth (Leeds, 49)
- Georgia Roche (Castleford, 74)
- Sinead Peach (Castleford, 65)
PNG Orchids squad:
Elsie Albert ©