Source: Daniel Nechita - Wasps

Wasps bounce back with emphatic victory at Waterloo

  • +1

Wasps first half performance sealed an impressive 52-14 victory on the road at Firwood Waterloo. With eight tries in total it was the forwards who dominated the scoresheet with seven tries, including a double for Claire Molloy and Kany Adefemiwa-afilaka. The result sees Wasps get back to winning ways after a loss last week at the hands of Loughborough.

Wasps were fast out the blocks with their first try coming after 2 minutes. Sarah Mitchelson was there to score at the back of the maul, which would prove so devastating throughout the game. Inside 15 minutes the visitors crossed the whitewash twice more. The second of the day saw Claire Molloy breaking through the defence and scampering home from 20m out. Shortly afterwards Wasps continued to apply pressure despite resolute Waterloo defence, but after great patience Kany Adefemiwa-afilaka picked up her first of the day.

The bonus point was secured before the half hour mark in some style. A pinpoint cross field kick was collected at pace by Amy Wilson-Hardy on the wing before earning a penalty at the ensuing breakdown. The maul from the resulting lineout once against proving too strong, as Claire Molloy was on hand to score her second of the day.

Wasps backline provided an excellent attacking platform dominating territory, but great individual defence from Waterloo kept the backs locked down. However, they were unable to contain Kany Adefemiwa-afilaka who burrowed over for her second of the day from close range. Just before the break some strong defence turned quickly to attack. Claudia MacDonald with another break from the base of the ruck, excellent handling finding Amy Wilson Hardy, who used her gas to finish in the corner.

With a 38-0 lead at the half Wasps were in a commanding position having dominated possession and territory. The second half was broken up by a number of stoppages and injuries but both sides continued to battle to the final whistle.

Abby Dow broke down the wing early in the second half, only to be stopped by a high tackle. With another maul from the penalty, replacement Kate Hallett was at the back to dive over the whitewash. Waterloo hit back shortly afterwards with some fantastic skill as a perfectly executed cross field kick was dotted down in the corner. As the replacements rolled in, Daniker Willmore came off the bench, into the maul, and straight over the try line for the eighth and final try of the day from the visitors.

Waterloo had the final score and some revenge for their own driving maul as it was stopped just short, however the referee adjudged it was stopped illegally and awarded a penalty try, as well as a yellow card for Daniker Willmore. The final whistle coming shortly after crowning Wasps 52-14 victors at The Memorial Ground.

Wasps will be delighted to have their travels rewarded with such a dominant performance. Despite the forwards dominating the set piece and the scoreboard, the backline continually threatened and gave Wasps great field position to set up the scores. Wasps will now turn their attention to their first game of the season at Tywford Avenue, as they host a Worcester Valkyries side who are still searching for their first win of the season.

Courtesy of Wasps