Sports Direct launches Star Studded “Give me Football” Christmas Campaign
- Sports Direct is launching its 2022 Christmas campaign titled ‘Give Me Football’, featuring football legends Eric Cantona and Thierry Henry alongside Emma Hayes and present England stars Declan Rice, Mason Mount and Jarrod Bowen
- The campaign will launch on Friday 4th November, covering TV, OOH, social content and in-store
- LibraryBuilding on last year’s campaign, ‘Go All Out’, this year’s Christmas cracker cements Sports Direct as the ultimate destination for the gift of sport and fitness this festive period
Sports Direct has today unveiled its Christmas campaign “Give Me Football”, bringing together some of the biggest names in the game for a series of spin-offs that subvert the traditional Christmas advert arms race – speaking to not only seasoned football lovers, but festive gifters, too.
In a football season with little convention, epitomised by a Winter FIFA World Cup, ‘Give Me Football’ plays with the stereotypes of a common Christmas ad to deliver something unexpected. The series of commercials star Eric Cantona, Thierry Henry, Mason Mount, Declan Rice, Jarrod Bowen, Emma Hayes, Gabriel Jesus, and the iconic football commentator, Clive Tyldesley.
Coming to life as a trio of 20 second adverts, each playful parody reflects on the classic festive themes typically presented on TV screens during the Christmas season, but with a comedic football twist.
- Eau de Footie – Mason Mount and Eric Cantona get up close and personal with a new fragrance that is sure to find its way into stockings this year
- Family dinner – turkey’s off the menu at this not so typical Christmas dinner with Eric Cantona, Thierry Henry, Emma Hayes, Gabriel Jesus and Clive Tyldesley
- Directa – Sports Direct’s take on a smart home hub voiced by Eric Cantona also starring West Ham duo, Declan Rice and Jarred Bowen
Launching on 4th November, the campaign will be rolled out across TV, OOH, social media and in-store screenings with flagship TV spots during the launches of I’m a Celebrity and Gogglebox.
Building on the success of last year’s blockbuster, ‘Go All Out’ which inspired Brits to go outside and play sport during the festive season, ‘Give Me Football’ continues to cement Sports Direct as the ultimate destination for the gift of sport and fitness this Christmas.
Beckie Stanion, Chief Marketing Officer Sports Direct, said: “As we head into an extremely exciting period, building up for both the World Cup and Christmas, we wanted to celebrate notable festive traditions with a comedic football spin. We wanted to create something that would surprise and delight our consumer.The adverts continue to celebrate the Sports Direct brand purpose; championing the legend in everyone, through the powers of sport. Whether you are a pro on the football pitch or taking charge of the Christmas feast, it is a time to come together and make this season your best one yet, either on or off the pitch.”
Developed by COPA90 and directed by Freddie Waters, of Pulse Films, the adverts feature tongue in cheek moments which are sure to raise a smile as some of the most famous faces in football deliver fans a Christmas cracker of a commercial.
Lawrence Tallis, Creative Director at COPA90 said: “At a time of year when brands of all shapes and sizes are trying to convince you that their products make the perfect Christmas presents, we know there’s only one gift worth giving – football.
We’ve brought together a star-studded cast to celebrate the first Christmas World Cup, subverting some of the tropes of festive ads by hi-jacking them with football.”
To find out more about Christmas at Sports Direct, head to: https://www.sportsdirect.com/christmas