Source: Ash Goodchild @AshSportsPhotos

Wasps Deny Lightning to Secure First Win of the Season

  • +1

Wasps faced their first game on the road this Sunday against Loughborough Lightning. After a tough loss to Saracens last weekend, Wasps were out on a mission today – and with a 0-29 victory, it’s safe to say mission complete!

With five tries in the bag, it was the bonus point win the team were looking for including a 50th try in a Wasps shirt for winger Dow. However, with three yellow cards against them, it wasn’t all sunshine and rainbows for the swarm today.

It was Wasps who opened up the game today with a try in the first 5 minutes by Crake after Millar-Mills broke away from a line out. This was closely followed by a backs’ wonder through the hands of Dow, Wilson-Hardy and finally Boatman to bring it in.

After a speedy start, Loughborough turned up the heat, proving their dominance in the scrums which have made a return from last season’s adjusted game. Wasps were left defending their half, the likes of Balogun and Cooney on a defensive rampage!

The final minutes of the half left the crowds on the edge of their set with Loughborough securing a penalty on Wasps’ 22m. But it was Captain and Player of the Match, MacDonald, who saved the day, booting Loughborough’s stolen ball down field and into safety leaving the half time score at 0-10.

It was a strong start to the second half for Wasps- after a frustrating performance in the scrums throughout the first half, Wasps dominated the first scrum of the second half setting up the perfect platform for Millar-Mills. The no. 8 broke Wasps into the opposition’s half and set up Dow to score her 50th try for Wasps, Williams adding the extras.

Up next was the turn of Captain, Macdonald, who danced her way past former teammate Kabeya to score the bonus point try. Again, Williams coming through with the bonus.

With 20 minutes left in the game, and a penalty in their favour, Wasps put their final points on the board with a stunner from Kerr.

It wasn’t a pretty end to the game as Wasps landed on the wrong side of the Referee and obtained three yellow cards, going down to 13 players for the final minutes of the game. But despite this and the valiant effort from Lightning to break onto the scoreboard, Wasps stood strong and denied Lightning of any thunder- the final score sitting at 0-29.

Next week we return to Twyford Avenue and welcome Worcester Warriors

Courtesy of Wasps