- Great Britain’s men face Spain and the women take on USA in the FIH Hockey Pro League on 22-23 May
- Final capped matches for both ahead of Olympic Games
- Mark Hager names squad of 19, all of whom were selected against Germany
- Will Calnan returns to men’s squad but Roper and Sloan out with injuries
Great Britain’s squads for their final matches ahead of this summer’s Olympics have been announced.
Following on from last week’s thrilling double header against Germany, the men will take on Spain while the women face the USA at Lee Valley Hockey and Tennis Centre on 22-23 May. Please note that the timings for these games have changed; the men will now begin proceedings at 13:00 on Saturday and 12:00 on Sunday, with the women following on at 15:30 and 14:30 respectively.
Danny Kerry has announced a squad of 19 for his side’s matches against the 2019 EuroHockey silver medallists, with Will Calnan coming in to the side while Phil Roper and Ian Sloan are unavailable due to injury.
Several players could also achieve significant milestones this weekend, with both David Ames and Alan Forsyth in line to make their 50th appearance for Great Britain if they feature in either game. In addition, Liam Ansell, Zach Wallace and Jack Waller could all make their 50th combined international appearance for England and Great Britain if they play in both matches.
Meanwhile, women’s head coach Mark Hager has selected also a squad of 19 to take on the Americans. The only change to the squad originally announced for last week’s fixtures against Germany is the absence of Charlotte Watson, who was unavailable for those games due to an injury that also rules her out of this double header. Hannah Martin is also out as she continues her rehabilitation from a leg injury, while Tess Howard and Emily Defroand are long-term absentees.
The squads will then separate into their Home Nations ahead of the EuroHockey Championships, which take place in The Netherlands between 4-13 June.
After the conclusion of that tournament, they will return to Bisham Abbey to continue their preparations ahead of the Olympic Games, with Great Britain’s men beginning their campaign against South Africa at 10:00 on Saturday 23 July before the women follow suit against Germany at 01:00 on Sunday 24 July.
- Saturday 22 May: GB v Spain (M) – 13:00 (BT Sport 2)
- Saturday 22 May: GB v USA (W) – 15:30 (BT Sport 3)
- Sunday 23 May: GB v Spain (M) – 12:00 (BT Sport 2)
- Sunday 23 May: GB v USA (W) – 14:30 (BT Sport/ESPN
- 1) Maddie Hinch (GK) – England
- 4) Laura Unsworth – England
- 5) Sarah Evans – England
- 6) Anna Toman – England
- 8) Sarah Jones – Wales
- 9) Susannah Townsend – England
- 10) Sarah Robertson – Scotland
- 13) Ellie Rayer – England
- 17) Leah Wilkinson – Wales
- 18) Giselle Ansley – England
- 20) Hollie Pearne-Webb (C) – England
- 24) Shona McCallin – England
- 25) Sabbie Heesh – England
- 26) Lily Owsley – England
- 27) Jo Hunter – England
- 31) Grace Balsdon – England
- 32) Amy Costello – Scotland
- 33) Izzy Petter – England
- 38) Fiona Crackles – England
- 1) George Pinner (GK) – England
- 5) David Ames – England
- 6) Henry Weir – England
- 7) Alan Forsyth – Scotland
- 8) Rupert Shipperley – Wales
- 10) Chris Griffiths – England
- 13) Sam Ward – England
- 16) Adam Dixon (C) – England
- 18) Brendan Creed – England
- 19) David Goodfield – England
- 20) Ollie Payne (GK) – England
- 21) Liam Ansell – England
- 25) Jack Waller – England
- 26) James Gall – England
- 27) Liam Sanford – England
- 29) Tom Sorsby – England
- 31) Will Calnan – England
- 32) Zach Wallace – England
- 33) Jacob Draper – Wales
Courtesy of GB Hockey