England Women Under 20s ran in eight tries in an emphatic 44-0 win over the Army at the Army Rugby Stadium in Aldershot.
In their first match of 2018, Jo Yapp’s side had to withstand driving rain and wind throughout the game which made playing conditions difficult.
The breakthrough came at the seventh minute as wing Brooke Clarke broke away and sprinted around the outside, with centre Phoebe Murray’s powerful run shortly after seeing her score on her debut.
Clarke’s second was set up by scrum half Tazmin Bricknell, before prop Ellena Perry spotted a gap in the defence to power through. Fly half Helena Rowland’s well weighted grubber allowed wing Lilian Stoeger-Goddard, another debutant, to dot down as she gathered the wet ball smartly.
Worcester Valkyries wing Clarke got her hat-trick after 31 minutes, leaving England leading 30-0 at the break.
Despite the difficult playing conditions, another midfield break saw Murray slide over for her second of the match.
Michaella Roberts grabbed the final try when the ball was zipped through hands and she sprinted in for a 30 metre finish.
Jo Yapp handed 13 players their England U20 debuts on the night, including six players from the start in Lillian Stoegar-Goddard, Phoebe Murray, Helena Rowland, Tazmin Bricknell, Tabitha Copson and Sarah Beckett.
Hannah Botterman, Akina Gondwe, Connie Powell, Rianna Manson, Cara Brincat, Emma Hardy and Lizzie Adam also came on as replacements to make their first appearances at this level.
England Women Under 20s head coach Jo Yapp: “We are really proud of the girls as those were difficult conditions to play in and in the first half we looked after the ball and tactically we put the ball in the right places.
“We were really happy to not allow Army to cross, that was our goal at half-time, we wanted to keep them at nil and the girls did that. There are lots of things to work on but on the whole it’s a really positive start.”
England Women U20 match day 24 to play Army
*denotes U20’s player making debut
15. Emma Uren © (Saracens Women)
14. Lilian Stoeger-Goddard (Bristol Ladies)*
13. Phoebe Murray (Bristol Ladies)*
12. Lucy Attwood (Bristol Ladies)
11. Brooke Clarke (Worcester Valkyries)
10. Helena Rowland (Saracens Women)*
9. Tazmin Bricknell (Gloucester-Hartpury Women RFC)*
1. Ellena Perry (Saracens Women)
2. Leah Bartlett (Loughborough Lightning)
3. Ellie Mulhearn (Bristol Ladies)
4. Hollie Cunningham (Bristol Ladies)
5. Rosie Galligan (Saracens Women)
6. Tabitha Copson (Gloucester- Hartpury Women)*
7. Charlie Wilcock (Worcester Valkyries)
8. Sarah Beckett (Firwood Waterloo Ladies)*
16. Michaella Roberts (Bristol Ladies)
17. Hannah Botterman (Saracens Women)*
18. Akina Gondwe (Worcester Valkyries)*
19. Connie Powell (Gloucester-Hartpury Women)*
20. Rianna Manson (Darlington Mowden Park Sharks)*
21. Cara Brincat (Worcester Valkyries)*
22. Ella Wyrwas (Saracens Women)
23. Emma Hardy (Loughborough Lightning)*
24. Lizzie Adam (Loughborough Lightning)*
England Women U20 games 2017-2018
England Women U20 44 – 0 Army
Tries: Clarke (3), Murray (2), Perry, Stoeger-Goddard, Roberts
Cons: Attwood (2)
France Women U20 v England Women U20
Stadium Nord, Villeneuve d’Ascq, Lille
24th February, K.O 14:00 GMT (15:00 Local time)
England Women U20 v France Women U20
Basingstoke RFC, 17th March 2018, KO 7:30pm
Visit http://www.basingstokerfc.com/ for details
Report courtesy of the RFU