Francesca Summers, Samantha Murray and Jo Muir all comfortably came through qualifying for Saturday’s World Cup 4 Women’s Final in Drzonkow, Poland yesterday.
The British trio were all in the top 15 of their groups throughout the day as automatic qualification was assured. The youngest member of the team, Dorking’s Summers, crossed the line 7th in Group A with Murray and Muir 8th and 10th respectively in Group B.
Story of the Day
In Group A, 21-year-old Summers began in the fencing salle, continually picking up victories throughout. The former North Kent Modern Pentathlon Club athlete eventually finished with 20 victories and just 13 defeats, putting her in 10th position after the opening discipline.
A 2:22.19 swim, a season’s best after heading Heat 2 throughout, meant Summers who is currently studying for a Fashion Design degree in Paris maintained her position in 10th ahead of the laser run.
Summers was comfortable through the combined running and shooting discipline, steadily moving up the order after the first lap to cross the line 7th and book her place in the final 36.
In the Group B swim, Clitheroe’s Murray also produced a season best (2:12.17) with Dumfries’ Muir recording a 2:19.21 to finish the discipline 9th. After slow starts in their fencing, both Pentathlon GB athletes recovered admirably with London 2012 silver medallist Murray securing 18 victories and 14 defeats. Muir, who picked up a silver medal in the Mixed Relay at World Cup 2, finished the discipline with a level fence of 16 victories and 16 defeats meaning Murray was 4th and Muir 10th ahead of the laser run.
In the day’s final discipline, both athletes kept a comfortable gap to 16th, ensuring they could ease around the final 800m loop, crossing the line as part of a large pack inside the top 10.
Friday sees Men’s Qualifying taking place with Jamie Cooke, Joe Choong and Tom Toolis competing for Pentathlon GB.
The schedule for World Cup 4 from Thursday 25th to Sunday 28th May 2017 is as follows:
- Thursday 25th May – Women’s Qualification
- Friday 26th May – Men’s Qualification & Women’s Fencing Ranking Round
- Saturday 27th May – Women’s Final & Men’s Fencing Ranking Round
- Sunday 28th May – Men’s Final
Pentathlon GB Women’s team:
- Samantha Murray, 27, originally from Clitheroe, Lancashire. Currently training at Bath NTC. London 2012 silver medallist and 2014 World Champion.
- Joanna Muir, 22, originally from Dumfries. Currently training at Bath NTC. 2016 World Championships Women’s Relay silver medallist & 2017 British Modern Tetrathlon Champion.
- Francesca Summers, 21, originally from Dorking, Surrey. Currently training at Bath NTC. 2015 Junior World Champion.
Pentathlon GB Men’s team:
- Jamie Cooke, 26, originally from Cheltenham, Gloucestershire. Currently training at Bath NTC. Rio 2016 Olympian and 2016 World Cup Final Champion.
- Joe Choong, 22, originally from Orpington, London. Currently training at Bath NTC. Rio 2016 Olympian.
- Tom Toolis, 24, originally from Romford, Essex. Currently training at Bath NTC. 2014 European Championships Men’s Relay bronze medallist.
Report courtesy of Pentathlon GB